Frequently Asked Questions


1) What is the 24hr clock?

Employment standards have a provision so that supports are not overworked in a 24hr period. We have to be mindful of this time frame when working so as to not overbook ourselves. According to this provision, supports can not work more than 8 hours in any 24 hour period.

  • Ex: If your support time begins at 8 a.m. on Monday, you are permitted to work 8 hours between then and 8 a.m. on Tuesday.

2) When is payday?

Paydays are bi-weekly. The pay period ends every second Saturday at 11:59 p.m. Payroll is generally approved on the following Monday or Tuesday and will be paid at the end of that week on Friday.

  • In the event that pay dates need to be adjusted to allow for processing time (Statutory Holidays, etc.), this would be communicated in advance by Cindy or Rosa at the office.

3) Do I have benefits? If so, what is covered in my benefits?

Following the completion of six months of employment with CPH, part-time and full-time employees are required to be enrolled in benefits unless they have benefit coverage elsewhere and are able to prove it. Eligible employees will receive a benefits card. Although the coverage differs between full-time and part-time, all employees have access to medical, dental and vision benefits, as well as, a Health Spending Account.

No Vision - would use health spending

  • All information pertaining to your benefits and coverage can be found on the website listed on your benefits card. There is also an app that will allow you to submit claims electronially, search to see if a service qualifies for coverage, and to download the employee benefit handbook. Your SHSL will also have access to a PDF version of the handbook.

4) Do I have Pension?

All part-time (min. 20 hours) and full-time are required to be enrolled in the Clare Parker Homes pension plan following the completion of the probationary period. This is not optional. The employee is able to determine their own percentage (mandatory 4%) of contribution. Clare Parker Homes will match the employee contribution up to 4%. 


5) What training is required?

  • You are required to have and maintain a valid First Aid and CPR Level C certificate within the first three months of your employment (probationary period) at your own cost. Any further recertification following your probation will be paid for by the agency when it is due. It is your responsibility to ensure that your certification is valid, and to notify your SHSL when you need to recertify.
  • You will be required to enroll in the following mandatory trainings within nine months of employment or as offered:
    • Comprehensive Personal Planning and Support Policy (CPP&SP)
    • Abuse and restrictive Procedures Policy (PAP/R)
    • Person Centred Thinking (PCT)
    • MANDT Crisis Intervention
    • Clare Parker Framework for supporting people (GT)
    • Mental Health First Aid (MHFA)
    • Transfer Lifting and repositioning (TLR).

6) How do I register for training?

  • A calender is electronically sent out to leadership around the 13th of each month for the upcoming month. This calender will be posted in the home for all supports to see. If you require any of the trainings offered for that month, please notify your SHSL so they can schedule you to attend (this calender will be posted prior to the next onths schedule allowing ample notice to arrange for coverage). It is your responsibility to keep track of which trainings you need and which trainings you have completed. This will be assessed at your evaluation so please do ensure you are up to date on all trainings.

7) When are trainings offered? 

  • Most mandatory trainings are offered 3-4 times per year. These trainings are offered on a rotating schedule, generally every 3-4 months. If a training is offered during the week in January, every effort is made to offer that same training in April on a weekend so as to ensure all supports are accommodated.